Bigfoot in Russia
Bigfoot, Yeti … This creature has many nicknames. People met him in many places, including near Lake Baikal. Boris Mashkovich, a researcher of anomalous and paranormal phenomena in Buryatia, told about where the yeti lives, what it looks like and why local hunters do not try to catch the mysterious giant.
– Are you sure Bigfoot exists? Is it not a myth? is it not folklore?
– We can only talk about the analysis of the collected information, which definitely indicates that there is a migrating, small, but stable population of this creature on the territory of Buryatia.
– And who, in fact, is this yeti?
– Yeti is one of the most common names. Comes from Tibetan folklore. From the Tibetan language it is translated as – “a bear living in the rocks.” It cannot be ruled out that this word was used to describe the species of the Himalayan bear, and European travelers transferred it to a completely different genus.
The peoples of Tibet have another name – Migoi or Mi-go – “wild man”, which is much closer to the real description that eyewitnesses give him. In addition, this creature, known on all continents, is most often referred to by the indigenous people as a “human” species. In Buryatia, it is called khun-gorohon, which also means “wild man”.
But I adhere to the theory of the Swedish naturalist Karl Linnaeus about the “caveman – a troglodyte.” Further development of this version was given by Professor Boris Fedorovich Porshnev, whose enthusiasm in the search for a relict hominoid laid the foundation for the formation of Russian hominology.
People or Homo are representatives of the primate order from the hominid family. This genus includes at least 15 different human species. All of them, of course, belong to the category of reasonable. The troglodyte, according to Linnaeus, is one of the branches that found its way of development during the time of the paleoanthropes.
– Back to the existence of Bigfoot. Did you say that you analyze the available information? So someone saw him after all? Near Lake Baikal?
– Bigfoot does not live near Lake Baikal itself. An analysis of the information collected on encounters with khun-gorohon on the territory of Buryatia and the Irkutsk region allows us to conclude that its main habitats are in the foothills. Perhaps because there are almost always karst areas teeming with caves.
– Where was Bigfoot most often seen in Buryatia and Priangarye?
The maximum number of encounters is associated with the Eastern Sayan region, followed by the Khamar-Daban ridge and the Barguzinsky region of Buryatia. I made a map of the encounters based on eyewitness accounts who noticed either the Bigfoot himself or his tracks.
Yeti Sightings in Buryatia map
– And how do eyewitnesses describe it? How tall is he? Does bigfoot have wool?
– On the territory of Buryatia, there were meetings with a relict hominoid, possibly of several species, differing in hair color and areas of observation. For example, on the territory of the Eastern Sayan Mountains, a tall creature with long arms and a cone-shaped crown was seen. He walks hunched over. Hair is light, white, sandy color. But some saw a brunette with brown hair.
A creature with gray hair was seen near Khamar-Daban. He can move both on two legs and at a wolf trot. He’s able to throw stones and logs at people. He is very aggressive towards humans.
But from the stories of eyewitnesses from the Ulan-Burgasy area, it follows that he has dark long hair. He moves quickly and throws his legs high when running in the snow. Carnivorous. He produces a bass sound (reminiscent of the desperate call of a man and the distant, creepy howl of a wolf), a piercing whistle. Height is about 2.5 meters. His footprint is 38 centimeters.
Residents of the Barguzinsky district talk about a three-meter giant with dark fur, which frightens the approaching people with an incredible long roar. Those who met his gaze claim that this is not the gaze of an animal, of a man.
Yeti Sightings in Russia
– Are there more detailed eyewitness accounts of the meetings that can be trusted?
– Yes. I collected them in the book “Cryptites of Buryatia and Baikal”. For example, one of them. In early August 1982, the tour group went mountain hiking in the Eastern Sayan Mountains.
The route included an ascent to Topografov Peak, but the first climbing attempt was unsuccessful due to a very dense fog that hid the summit. It was snowing over the glacier. Having descended to the base camp, the tourists spent the night. An eyewitness said that one day, about 150 meters from the top of the mountain, they found huge traces of bare feet.
Photo by Boris Mashkovich
And later they saw the one who left giant footprints. It was Russian yeti with small bushes and open woodland, stood a tall, sandy-colored creature collecting something in the grass on the slope.
After a quiet call, it rather quickly, but not at a run, went down the hill, without dropping on all fours, and disappeared into the bushes. The narrator was not frightened and went to look with two companions. They found only plucked mushrooms and an obscure trail on the dry grass.
There is evidence from different years. For example, the workers’ story about a meeting that took place back in 1945. To the northwest of the village of Kurbinskoye, three people working on felling the forest decided to shorten the path and go through the rocks along a mountain path.
At one of the sites, leaving from behind a huge boulder, people stopped in horror. About 10-15 meters from them, a monster similar to a man descended from above. His body was covered with thick hair. He ran quickly, holding something in his hands, and disappeared into a dark ravine.
In the morning they told this story to their foreman, a local resident. And he was not surprised. The brigadier himself more than once in his life met a wildman who lives high in the mountains.
And there are a great many similar testimonies. Hunters, geologists, tourists and villagers met with him.
– Nowadays, everyone has a smartphone with them. Why is there no video evidence?
– There is. Tourist Evgeny Lomakin in 1999, during a water trip along the Kitoy River, accidentally caught an unidentified creature in the video. I managed to find a frame that gives an idea of the face of the hung-gorohon.
Later, this frame was processed using an artificial intelligence program. As a result, not only the hairline was highlighted in the image, but also the pronounced superciliary arches were emphasized.
“But if Bigfoot exists, why hasn’t he been caught yet? Even local hunters getting together?
– Meeting with the Bigfoot in Buryatia is taboo among the residents of the places where he was most often seen. This taboo is imposed and maintained by both shamans and lamas.
It extends not only to the search for meetings with the hung-gorohon, but also to the stories of such meetings. It is being steadily followed by the indigenous population of Buryatia: Soyots, Buryats, Evenks. Therefore, so little information can be collected.
And the facts of aggressive behavior were recorded in the Dzhida region. They were associated with a specific Yeti, which the locals called subel.
A meeting with a giant is most often sudden. It is associated with intense fear, causing unaccountable terror and panic. This inevitably leads to a nervous breakdown, and then gives rise to diseases. Sometimes they are very strong. It is this outcome of the meeting that underlies the taboo.
– What do yeti eat? Are they vegetarians or do they prefer meat food?
– As I said, the hung-pea is carnivorous. But it eats both meat and plant foods. By the way, the areas of the most frequent encounters provide an adequate food supply.
– Do you think scientists will ever be able to provide hard evidence of the existence of Bigfoot?
– Researchers and scientists from different countries of the world have been and are studying the existence of Bigfoot. I will quote the Doctor of Historical and Philosophical Sciences, the founder of Russian hominology, Professor Porshnev:
“We are now not looking for sensational evidence (there is enough evidence for specialists), but penetrating into the nature of the phenomenon under study. It is necessary to penetrate through two veils, two protective barriers: the sphere of human resistance to our search and the sphere of biological self-defense of the paleoanthropus from human search. We have just scratched both of these armor, not drilled it”.