Baikal is a big and vast dream for many people as well as Russian single women are a dream for many men. When your dream will come true, try to realize everything around and feel this energy in full. Let’s talk about the largest island of Lake Baikal, Olkhon. Even if you have only 3 full days to see this island, do that. You can fly to Irkutsk and then go to this island. It is possible to get there only by car, and then by a ferry for cars. The distance takes about 5 hours if you stop just to eat at a roadside cafe. At night, you can stay in the Baikal View Hotel, which is within walking distance of the shores of the lake. Small colored wooden houses will immediately conquer your heart. The incredible autumn colors of the vast forest will impress you surely at once. You have never seen such a palette of yellow in nature!
You are strongly recommended to travel with locals. They will show you the most picturesque places and tell legends, connected with this or that place. Moreover, traveling with a local person is much safer, they always know in which case where to call, and you will definitely not get lost.
Places that are definitely worth visiting on the island of Olkhon.
Rock Shamanka. Nature here is very similar to the northern countries, especially to Iceland. According to the legend, you shouldn’t climb the rock itself because Olkhon’s spirits live there, and they shouldn’t be disturbed.
Cape Khoboy. The road there is quite difficult, so be prepared for that. The word “khoboy” in translation from Buryat means “tusk.” If you climb to the top, there is an incredible view of the cliff and a precipice right at the lake. You will get the feeling that you are on a precipice of a stern ocean.
Cape Sagan-Khushun (three brothers). There is a legend connected with this cape. Baikal had 3 sons and one daughter. Daughter fell in love and ran away from home. The father was angry, he turned his sons into eagles and sent them in search of their sister. The brothers found her, but took pity on her and lied to their father that they hadn’t found their sister. Mighty Baikal immediately recognized the lie and turned the three brothers into the rocks as a punishment. Three rocks resemble an eagle from a certain angle.
Rock of love. It is called so for a reason. If you look at the rock, it resembles a woman with her legs spread apart. According to the legend, if a couple cannot conceive a baby, they need to come to the rock of love. If they want a boy, then the woman needs to climb to the left rock, and if they want a girl, then the woman needs to climb to the right rock.
Marble quarry. It is a giant field of white marble. The place is amazing with its magnitude.
A few tips that you need to remember.
- Take the warmest clothes with you! This, of course, is the most obvious advice, but it definitely shouldn’t be neglected. The weather is very unpredictable there. In sunny weather, you want to walk in one sweater, and when the wind blows, you want to put on everything that you have. It is necessary to take a winter jacket, a hat, underpants, gloves. You never know where the snow will come down. Yes, this is possible on Olkhon even in early October.
- The best shoes are hiking because you will have to walk a lot on the rocks.
- Be prepared for the fact that there will be no seat belts in the cars.
- Do not hesitate to talk to the locals, they are very open to communication. Moreover, they will be able to tell you about the legends and myths of the island.
- Be prepared for the fact that the cellular connection is very bad there. In some places, it doesn’t work at all.
- Be sure to try the local urbech, cedar milk and cone jam (they say, it has medicinal properties, and the cones from jam can also be eaten.)